Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Am I a real Meyer?

I was born ????? on November 25. I was adopted shortly after I was born. I never experienced my birth family. Over the years, many people have asked me if I have ever met my real mom and dad. They have told me "that is sad" that I never met my real parents. I just want to say for the record my real parents are Robert and Carol MEYER. People who say the word “real” to me REALLY offend me. I know people do not mean anything negative by it however I am a MEYER, I have always been a Meyer and I do not consider my parents anything other then my REAL PARENTS. I have known from day 1 one that I was adopted. My parents always felt that I needed to know and understand and that I was picked as opposed to being stuck with me. I love my parents very much. Enough said about that..

So anyway... I have two sisters and one brother, yes they my REAL sisters and brother. In all the years we grew up together, and all the fights we had, they never told me I was not there REAL brother. I am seeing the word “real” a lot today.... Hmmmmm....

I have/had extended relatives that I grew up with. The closet relatives were my Uncle Doug and my three cousins- Jenny, Carolyn and Chrissy. My Uncle passed away many years ago from pancreatic cancer. As a child growing up, he was the coolest guy that I knew. He used to call me "Spike." I really do not know why he called me that but I liked it. I really felt that he always believed in me. He always told me I could do school and get through it as long as I try. I did try very hard as much as I was capable of. I remember when he came to the house, I would try to tackle him and we would wrestle around the yard or house. He was so much fun. Now that I am older, I admire him. He raised 3 girls on his own.

I have fond memories of my cousins. Jenny is the oldest of all the kids. She was always the mature one of the group. I remember she memorized a commercial for some type of hand lotion and use to pretend that she was putting it on me. She now lives in Florida and I really miss her.

Carolyn was next and we have a lot in common. We use to play football, kickball and baseball growing up. She was very close to my brother but I remember when she and I use to talk about so many things. She now lives in Colorado, I see her often enough but wish she was near me.

Chrissy is the last of my cousins that I grew up with. I have so many fond memories of her. We were the closest in age. For some reason, we loved the song "Eye of the Tiger" and I remember her playing songs in her bedroom listening to music. She is also now in Florida and I greatly miss her and her family.

I remember that we would all get together for holidays and would eat, laugh and talk. My mom is a great cook and always made good meals. I remember the smell of turkey, stuffing, and pies. I remember us sitting at the big table just talking and having lively family debates. I also remember whenever my uncle would leave, he would tell his girls to "saddle up." I loved the holidays!!

I had many more cousins and I think most of them live in New York. My whole family is from New York. I remember going back to New York in the summer time and I truly only remember my cousins Christine, Steven, Paul and Jimmy. I truly remember playing with Christine and Steve down at Greenwood lake. I loved my Nanny and Bobba (My grandparents) I do not have many memories of them but I do remember there home. It had a unique smell to it. I also remember my cousin Mike and Donna and their dog Cocoa. I always thought Mike was really cool. I have not seen him in 25 years but I really think the world of him.

The last person I would like to write on is my grandmother Helen Gallagher. She was the best grandma that anyone could have ever asked for. She watched us kids a lot while we were growing up and I remember one summer she was my summer tutor which I truly hated but once the lesson was over, we got to play. She lived in 4-hills mobile home park. They had a pool on singing arrow street that I loved to swim in. She also had neighbors- Mr and Mrs Fickle and they use to always give me candy. I also remember as I was getting older, I could tell my grandma anything and she never told a soul. She had a stroke in 2001 and we took care of her for about 8 months until she died in September 2001. I like to think she was in heaven and was there to welcome people who died after 9/11. I miss her very much to this day.... She is buried on Wyoming and Paseo Del Norte. I go there and just sit with her...sometimes I cry and miss my grandma...

So maybe this blog was a little long---- I don't know how long a blog should be.... As I am writing this... I just feel blessed that I am a MEYER and there is no other person that I want to be. I love my family very much and they are my REAL family.

1 comment:

  1. You know, the Meyer's ARE your real parents, just not your birth parents. Nobody can tell you that they are not your real parents. You have lots of family and friends, and are a blessed man. I love you like a brother, my friend! --Patrick--

    ReplyDelete