Thursday, December 29, 2011

December 25, 2011

Dear Family and Friends,

2011 has been an splendid year!!! I am blessed more than I can express. This could have been a very hard year, but it was so smooth and so WORTH IT. I tried something this year that I have never done before in my life. I put God first and put all my decisions in HIS hands. He never once steered me wrong. Let me share my story with you. I had a roommate back in January and she and I had a disagreement and she kicked me out of her house on January 9, 2011. I was starting my student teaching experience January 10, 2011. This was the last requirement for me to earn my Master’s degree in Elementary Education. I had saved some money because this was a 5 month commitment with no pay (this was the final 5 months for my degree, after already completing 2 years). I would have to devote 60-70 hours a week student teaching and could not supplement with another job. I was very embarrassed to be without a place to live. I had enough money to get my own place; however, I would have had to put school on hold and I didn’t want to do that. I didn’t have the courage to ask anyone for a place to live. I felt that at my age, I should be well into building my own empire… That night and the following 2 weeks , I moved into a hotel and started to quickly see my savings dwindle. I prayed to God and said “This is yours, God…. I want to do Your Will , so please work this out for me.” My friends, the Weinsteins, were going on a cruise and I moved into their home for 2 weeks, which was during that ridiculous snow storm. Thankfully, I had a warm place to stay. I had 7 pairs of pants, shirts and unmentionables. I gave all my stuff to my girlfriend, who took it and Moo back to Durango. No one knew that I was student teaching and living in a hotel in the ghetto area or that I really was homeless….

After the Weinsteins returned, I talked to a friend of mine, Samantha, who had a son in my troop many years ago (her son is doing quite well and is in the Air Force), who had always told me if I ever needed anything to ask her. I had not seen Samantha in over a year or two, but hoped that maybe she had a spare room that I could rent for ONLY 4 months. I e-mailed her because I felt it was easier to take rejection in an e-mail back from her, and then I could decide what to do next… I received an e-mail back and the first line said “Due to our neighborhood association’s rules, we are not allowed to rent out any rooms.” My heart dropped. I knew that I could always go to my second family, Mikey and Bonnie Weinstein, who would have helped me, but I didn’t want to bother them. I had no idea where I would go next… quit school.. and just get my own place and a job but I had already started to bond with my mentor-teacher and the students. However, on continuing to read the e-mail , she said, “However, we would love to give you a room for 4 months since you did so much for our son, Adam.” The stress melted right off my chest. I moved in a week later. I devoted those 4 months to studying for all my state tests, doing a good job with my student teaching and writing my thesis. I will always be grateful to Samantha and Roger for their help. By the way, I passed all three of my state exams to become a licensed teacher!

May was quickly coming to an end and I had no job, and no place to move into. I could not and would not ask Sam for anymore time. They were so awesome to help me and I am sure it can’t be easy having a guest in their home for that long. I kept saying, “God, this is all you… Let Your Will be done.” I still had my basic bills so I was running very low on money. My friend runs a camp -Camp Shaver, and she needed a cook and called to ask me if I knew a cook who needed a job (and free room and a good salary). Of course, I jumped on that.
I graduated from my Master’s program and had a great party at the Hogan’s house in June. I am also eternally GRATEFUL for the use of their house. It was a great party.
I moved to camp and was the cook. I had not cooked in a few years, but I think I did okay. No one got sick and I passed the health inspection with a score of 100%. I think my days of working at camp are coming to an end, however. I have worked at camps for 20 years. Singing songs and acting crazy is just not my thing anymore. I was very good at it “back in the day,” but now with seeing age 30 on the horizon… eh…. It’s harder to do this kind of work. Maybe one more year?

Camp was quickly coming to an end and things were looking up, although I had no place to move to, but had money saved and had a job as a substitute teacher for Albuquerque Public Schools. I had applied for at least 60 teaching positions and did not hear back from one. I was not that worried because I had a job as a sub and the pay wasn’t that bad. I was offered a job as a teacher in Farmington and Raton, but you all know how well I love being out of Albuquerque. I was very disappointed when I heard that the school I student taught at had hired a new teacher and didn’t give me the consideration for at least an interview. I don’t think the principal liked me. (I don’t know why, I am such a lovable guy, right?) The principal retired and a new one was hired. I took the liberty to write the new principal and introduce myself via e-mail. I told her that I student taught there last year and if she had any openings, I would appreciate the opportunity to interview. I continued to work hard for camp. On August 2nd, I received a call from the principal at St. Charles, where I student taught. She asked me to come in for an interview the next day. I said I would be there. Camp was ending in 4 days and school was starting in 7 days. I was offered a position teaching 2nd grade. I have 12 awesome students! I love my teaching career more than anything else I have ever done. My experience with youth is 11-18 year old boys, never girls and never boys under age 11. I was a little worried, but it has been great! I think I am equally as good teaching little girls as I am with little boys. I was also the mid school football coach. I loved that experience. We won 6 games out of 9. The previous 2 years, they had not won any games. At first, we were the Bad News Bears but in the end, we had a strong team.

After my interview, I was heading back to camp and I saw an apartment that I liked They were running a 1 day special for a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for $600 a month (normally $850). That day, I signed a 15 month lease and went back to camp. Camp ended and I moved into my apartment which remained empty for a while because I had stuff stored all over the state. Over the next couple of months, I slowly got my stuff back and into my place. I also got my cat back. I sure missed him.

The last part to my story is that my car died. I needed a vehicle that would work and I had just enough money to buy a Ford Expedition. I came across a 98 Ford Expedition by accident, in nearly mint condition and I bought it for $1000.00 off the asked price. It was God that had it stand out for me. I am so blessed. (The $1,000I saved, I used to get insurance)
The last thing I wanted to mention is that once again I am the Scoutmaster of Troop One. I was not sure I wanted to do this again but the Troop has had several issues over the last 5 years since I “retired”. I am glad to be Scoutmaster, although the past 4 months have been very trying in dealing with some of the parents. I don’t believe parents can change that much in 5 years but it seems they have. That’s okay, we will get the troop back going strong. I have 30 young men in the troop and I am looking forward to being in their lives.
So, 2011 could have been a horrible year, but by the Grace of God and me being able to let go, He steered me right. I did not like being “homeless” or without my stuff and cat for 8 months, but I am a better man for it. Truly, I thank God for my teaching job every day. My students bring such joy to my heart. 2nd graders are the best!!

I continue to THANK GOD FOR YOU ALL IN MY LIFE!! So many of you helped me get through this year with meals, gas or loans. THANK YOU!!!!! I also know that if I had asked you for some type of help, many of you would have helped. I was just too embarrassed to ask for help from anyone. I am not sure why I had the courage to ask Samantha but thanks Sam!!! It is so awesome sitting in my house with my cat at my side, and my own hot chocolate in my coffee cup writing this letter. I was not sure this year if I would ever be here again. I made it!

I love you all and I wish you a very HAPPY HOLIDAY and an AWESOME New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment